Our Green Policies & Credentials
- Romney Marsh Wools is a local business carrying out a sustainable business based on traditions going back for hundreds of years.
- Natural sheep grazing ensures conservation of historic Romney Marsh pasture and landscape. This also directly supports local tourism.
- Locally sourced, locally produced and locally distributed – low embodied energy due to limited transport miles.
- Our wool is a natural product which is naturally processed, no synthetic dyes used or other damaging products.
- We use Hawort Scouring Company who have achieved: ENCO GLOBAL TESTING SERVICES ENVIRONMENTAL CARE CERTIFICATE FOR WOOL SCOURING NUMBER ENCO 4061.
- Local community involved in flock care and management and product processing, marketing and sales.
- Minimal impact on local community as entirely traditional methods of production used i.e. sheep grazed on marsh pasture, no additional infrastructure required in the production process.
- Wherever possible we re-use and recycle all our packaging, any waste cardboard is put down as bedding for our farm cows and sheep.
- We both sponsor and contribute directly to charities at events such as Country Alliance and Charity Dinner for Kent Borough Council.
- To employ local people, provide the necessary training and build capacity within the local community. We are sponsors of the University of Kent ‘Employability Points Scheme for students’ to encourage local skills and future employment.
- We will continue to support local events and charity fairs such as St Michael's Hospice, St Nicholas Festival Trustee, Hospice in the Weald, The Friends’ such as Friends of East Sussex Hospices.